Here are some excellent tips for those suffering from COVID-19 written by Punyadech Photangtham, MD, Giosely Collado, PA, and Ricardo Martinez.
What should I do if I have the COVID-19 Virus +, or am sick with Fever, Cough (presumed positive )
- Not every patient needs to be tested.
- Not all positive patients need to be admitted to the Hospital. Most people with coronavirus (greater than 80% will have symptoms like a bad cold or flu), however there are people who will develop severe shortness of breath. These people should go to a hospital.
- Your physician or healthcare provider will evaluate you and prescribe medicines to help you cope with fever, coughing, and/or headaches. They can also determine if your symptoms are severe enough to warrant a trip to the hospital.
- You are recommended to quarantine at home for 14 days. That means, stay in your room isolated from the rest of the household/family, wear a mask and avoid contact with other family members.
- A family member can prepare your food and leave it outside the door of your room.
- Do not share glasses, dishes, silverware with other household members. Consider using disposable paper plates and utensils.
- To go to the bathroom, put on a mask covering nose and mouth. When finished, clean and disinfect touched surfaces to prevent passing on the virus.
NOTE: Family members are recommended to use masks and gloves, wash their hands with soap often and thoroughly, and monitor symptoms of fever and/or cough.
- If in the house there are more than one person, or all, with the virus, then all should be quarantined for 14 days.
- Follow your Medical Provider instructions.
- Avoid leaving your home for any reason.
- If you need medicine call your pharmacy and explain your situation. The pharmacy can deliver your prescription and leave it outside the door of your home.
- If you need to take out garbage, call a family member or a friend and explain your situation. Leave the garbage outside the door of your room. This person using gloves and a mask can dispose of your garbage.
- If you need food and groceries do the same – using precautions, the volunteer can leave the food and/or groceries at your door WITHOUT having direct contact with you.
Will I have the Covid-19 sickness again? We do not know. After you recuperate from this incident you may have 1-3 years of immunity, but it is difficult to know if the virus will mutate during that period negating the immunity.
When can I go back to work? You are recommended 14 full days of quarantine. If after the first week you do not have fever anymore (without the use of medicine/pills) then you can start sharing time with other household members inside your house, and after the finish of the second week then go back to work.
How can I prevent getting COVID-19? You are recommended to avoid groups bigger than 10 people, and maintain a distance of 6 feet with other people. Ideally everyone should be staying at home right now as much as possible. Try to check in with your loved ones through FaceTime or calling them. Practice frequent and good quality hand hygiene and avoid touching your face. When washing your hands, make sure you wash for at least 20 seconds on every surface and in between the fingers.