Flu season is approaching and you need to protect yourself and your family from the awful flu virus. Need more reasons to convince you to get the flu shot? Here are 10 of them:
- Getting the flu means 2 or more weeks of feeling miserable and usually happens at the worst possible time (your long awaited vacation, wedding, Christmas holiday, etc.)
- The flu shot is widely available right now (October 2015). In previous years, people waited till January when there was a shortage and a terrible flu season. You can get your flu shot from your primary care provider, nurse, or local pharmacy.
- It is covered under all insurances and medicare. If you don’t have insurance, some community health centers can provide it for free. Check with your local public hospital.
- It’s quick! A typical flu shot takes 30 seconds. Make sure you wear clothing where you can roll up your sleeves to the deltoid muscle.
- It hurts for only 1-2 days. Yes, most flu shots can cause some local pain, but that’s temporary and pales in comparison to the body aches when you are getting the actual flu.
- The flu shot takes 2 weeks to become effective. Getting a flu shot now will ensure that you are protected before the holiday season.
- By getting the flu shot, you are not only protecting yourself but also your family. If you got the flu you could spread it to your children or elderly relatives.