Holiday gift-giving is a great tradition, but do you need to give or get another scarf or box of chocolate? How about giving gifts that promote health and wellness instead? Here are my top 8 gifts to give your loved ones a healthy start to the new year!
- Yoga mat– Yoga is a wonderful low-impact exercise that can improve symptoms of arthritis and reduce stress
- Basket of healthy foods– We all hear about foods that can improve our health. Why not create a basket with an assortment of all these foods. I recommend a good bottle of extra virgin olive oil, chia seeds, flax seeds, and walnuts.
- Spice rack– Replace the salt shaker with exotic spices such as curry, basil, mustard, and chili powder. Food will taste much better and healthier.
- Exercise bands– Perfect for the person who says they don’t have time for exercise because they travel a lot. These bands can fit easily into any suitcase and do not take up much room. Speaking from experience, they can give a workout that is comparable to using weights.
- Bottle humidifier– The cold dry air during the wintertime can lead to increased respiratory infections and dry skin/lips. By keeping the humidity of the room higher, you will feel much better.
- Live plants– Studies have shown that people feel much better when they are around live plants. Plants remove toxins and carbon dioxide and release oxygen into the air. They also add humidity to the air. I find that lucky bamboo plants are easy to care for and can adapt to even the harshest conditions.
- Pedometer/Fitbit– Help your loved ones track their steps. These are great tools to encourage more physical activity and help them stay accountable to their goals.
- Himalayan salt lamp– This is a beautiful source of warm light that can also help to purify the air of chemicals. I keep one in my office and the air always smells crisp.